This particular healthy treat recipe takes inspiration from a deliciously sweet candy bar that’s an American staple and rhymes with the word “flickers”.
Emulating the textures of a chewy nougat, and a soft gooey caramel filling get this healthy alternative fairly close to the real deal.
And while it may not reach the same level of candy-sweet decadence as the processed version, it’s still delectably tasty in its own right.
For the gooey “caramel”:
- 1 packed cup pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the “nougat”:
- 1/4 cup of your finished date “caramel”
- 2/3 cup oat flour (opt. replace half with Complement Chocolate Protein)
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 8 ounces plant-based chocolate
- In a larger bowl cover the dates with hot water and soak for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain the dates, squeezin g the water out gently, and reserve the water.
- Line a baking sheet or cooling rack with parchment paper to place the completed bars on later, set aside. Also line a loaf pan with parchment or plastic wrap.
Make the Caramel:
- Add dates to your food processor with peanut butter, vanilla, and salt.
- Process until thick and smooth, scraping the sides when necessary. If the mixture is too thick, add in the reserved date water in 1 tablespoon increments until you get an evenly smooth mixture.
Make the Nougat:
- Remove the date “caramel” from the food processor.
- Add the oat flour (and optional Complement Chocolate Protein) to the food processor (no need to rinse) with 1/4 cup of your date “caramel” and process until smooth.
Assemble & Freeze:
- Firmly and evenly press the “nougat” into your lined loaf pan.
- Use a spatula to spread the remaining “caramel” evenly over the nougat, then sprinkle the peanuts on top.
- Use your fingers to press the Peanuts into the Caramel layer, so they stick. Place this in the freezer for 60 to 90 minutes, until firm.
- Remove the frozen “filling” from its container, then use a sharp knife to cut it into bar-sized pieces. Return these to the freezer while you melt your chocolate.
Melt your Chocolate:
- Place your chocolate pieces in a glass bowl and microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Once the chocolate is around 80% melted, stop microwaving and stir the mixture with a spatula until completely melted.
- Moving quickly, place 1 frozen candy bar into the bowl of melted chocolate. Use two forks to “flip” the bar, until it is coated in chocolate on all sides.
- Remove the bar from the melted chocolate, letting any excess chocolate drip off. Then, place it onto the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining bars.
- Place the bars in the fridge for 5 to 10 minutes, to allow the chocolate to harden. Serve and enjoy!
Bars are best stored in the refrigerator and will last there for up to 10 days. You can also place them in the freezer, where they will last for up to one month – just let the bars thaw for 5 or so minutes before enjoying.